Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving!!!


The past 3 months have perhaps been the busiest Phil and I have ever been (an update blog to come...eventually).  But after a pretty long blogging hiatus, I've returned to share 10 things I've been thankful for over the past year.

These are in no particular order...

1.  Relaxation Time with my Hubby

Because Phil and I have been so busy, my favorite time of day is when we get to sit down together and just relax.  We are no longer thinking about student teaching, drill, soccer, or school.  It is OUR time where we can relax and read a conference article or watch an episode of our latest Netflix TV show.  I've learned that although there is probably something better we could be doing like grading papers, studying for a test, or falling asleep a little earlier, we need this time for our marriage and our sanity!

2.  My Nursery Kids

My calling has been in nursery for almost a year and a half.  Even though it is often tiring go to church, I love it and I love the kids.  I have come to find the saying, "Out of the mouth of babes"to be pretty true.  Some of these kids say the funniest things.  I loved the day when a visitor joined us... he brought his own backpack with toys, yet he decided he liked the nursery toys better so he "stole" them by putting them in his backpack.  I was onto his little trick so I kept my eye on him (and he knew I was watching him).  In his little mind, as soon as he put them into his backpack, they were his.  He kept is backpack on the rest of nursery so I couldn't take them.  At the end he gave them back to me in a "tada" manner.  Like, "Oh look, I found the lost toys!"

However, my absolute favorite part of nursery are when the little girls come and sit on my lap and cuddle.  They often start playing with my hair and my necklaces and touch my nail polish and tell me how pretty I am.  Then they stand up and twirl around and say "Do you like my dress?  I'm a princess, just like you!"  If I'm every feeling down about myself, I know just where to go to feel better!

3.  Our Living Arrangements

I'm so thankful that my in laws have been so generous to let us live in their home for the past year.  It has been a huge blessing to be able to spend money while Phil started his Masters program and I was student teaching.  Plus we have had a lot of fun being here with them.  Some of my favorite memories are with my sister-in-law Corrie.  I absolutely LOVE Corrie.  We have had several fun, crazy and random moments together.  I'm definitely going to miss that when we move out in a month.

4.  Our Educations

Phil and I have been very blessed in our educations.  I'm so thankful that Phil was accepted into his Masters program on his first try.  He was one of 34 selected.  He was also chosen by his classmates to represent their class for the next three years as the Occupational Therapy program President.  Yes, he is my husband.  He is almost done with his first semester and he has done so well!  He loves his program and has already made some great friends.  I'm so proud of him!

I had the opportunity to walk in the August graduation ceremonies at BYU.  I didn't officially graduate at that time, but if felt like I did because this semester I haven't been taking classes on campus.  I'm a student teacher at Lone Peak High School and I will officially graduate with my bachelors in December.  I'm Thankful for the journey that my education has brought me.  In a way I'm sad to be done.  But I'm also really thankful and excited to finally be done!!

5.  Friends

In particular, I'm really thankful for my best friend, Natalie Willmore.  We were next door neighbors for 2 years right after Phil and I got married.  After 2 years we both moved in with our parents (us in Highland and them in Springville).  It was sad to not spend as much time together but we still stayed in touch.  This past summer Drew and Natalie moved down to Cedar City for school.  But even still, we see each other when they come up, we text regularly, and have long phone and Skype sessions.  Natalie has really been there for me the past 6 month through the ups and the downs.  I'm so lucky to have a friend like her.

6.  My Team

I'm so thankful for the chance I have to coach these incredible girls.  They are beautiful girls inside and out.  I'm so blessed to have the opportunity to interact with them on a daily basis and be apart of their lives.  Although drill keeps me super busy and is often times the cause of much stress in my life, I love coaching and I'm thankful for the blessings it has brought.

I'm also thankful that my husband is such an incredible soccer coach.  I love watching the influence he has on the little boys he coaches.  The really do love him.  He is such a talented coach.

7.  Tender Mercies

Life is hard.  Phil and I have experienced our own sets of trials over the past while and I times it is really easy to feel all alone.  I'm so thankful for tender mercies given to me by the Lord.  They remind me that He knows me, He loves me, and He hasn't forgotten about me.

The other day was a difficult day at school.  In some ways I was really frustrated with my students, and in other ways, I felt like I wasn't being a good teacher.  A student came by after school to turn in an assignment.  We started talking about random things like Thanksgiving break, marching band, the school musical... He was turning to leave the classroom and I was wishing him a Happy Thanksgiving when he paused, turned around and said, "Mrs. Lamoreaux, I'm grateful that you are teaching us.  You are a really great teacher!"  Tender Mercy!  That was exactly what I needed to hear.

The next day another student was in making up a quiz.  Her friend was also sitting in the classroom waiting for her.  As they were leaving, my student's friend said, "I'm going to have you for health next semester."  I told him that I'm just the student teacher so I'll be gone in December.  I told him that he would have Ms. Ross, the real teacher ha.  My student jumped in and said, "That's too bad for you.  You want Mrs. Lamoreaux as your teacher.  She's awesome!"  Those are the moments that make teaching worth it!

8.  Family Time

Phil and I both really love our families.  We are thankful for their influence in our lives and the fun we have with them.  We love all of the time we get to spend with them like at Sunday dinners.

9.  Gracie

Gracie has been my little dog for almost a year.  I know this sounds stupid, but she really is my best little friend.  She has been the best dog we could ask for.  She potty trained so quickly and she doesn't chew on things she's not supposed to.  She seriously is loyal and she loves us so much.  She has been so fun to have around.  I'm really grateful for her!  (Stay tuned...I've been meaning to devote an entire blog to Gracie.  You better believe we've taken a lot of fun pictures over the year that need to make it on the blog).

10.  My Husband

I'm thankful that Phil loves and supports me in everything I do.  He is constantly so sweet to me.  Whether he is rubbing my feet, massaging my back, or doing the dishes, I always know that the thing that makes him the most happy is when he gets to make me happy.  I love that we can laugh and have fun together.

I love you so much Phil and I'm so thankful for you!

These are just 10 of the things I am grateful for.  There is so much in my life to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!







1 comment:

  1. Oh man....you made me cry! I am SO SO SO grateful for YOU Katelyn. It's often at random times when I'm alone or miss you terribly that I think back to the times when you were next door. Even though I wish you were next door, I'm glad that we still make the effort to remain close.
    You have brought so much to my life and I'm so grateful that our paths crossed.
    Thank you for being such a wonderful friend. Life wouldn't be the same without you.

    ReplyDelete