Friday, November 19, 2010

Murder Mystery Dinner Party!

In our ward, the Sunday school is split into seven groups and Phil and I are called as the Sunday school leaders of our group. Our responsibilities include starting class and planning monthly activities with our group. For one or our activities, Phil and I decided to throw a murder mystery dinner party. We have wanted to do this with our group for several months so I have had plenty of time to come up with my vision for this night. I pictured nice table wear and a yummy dinner. I'm kind of a control freak so rather than having couples sign up for different parts of the meal, I wanted the meal to be uniform so I took responsibility of the main course and the garlic mashed potatoes and everyone else brought salads, rolls, fruit and dessert.
I have never cooked for 25 people so I turned to a woman who does it on a regular basis...my mother-in-law. Margo is an incredible woman and was so willing to cook with me and let me borrow plates, goblets, table clothes, etc. She really helped me make the night as amazing as it was. We've all heard the stories of horrible in-laws and since I've been married I have even heard them from several friends. I've come to realize that I have been blessed with an amazing mother and father-in-law which means that I can't relate to the horrible in-law stories. I'm thankful for all of the help Margo gave me to prepare for this dinner.

This is some of the food we had plus lots of fabulous fruits and desserts.

L-R: The Christiansen's (Natalie won the best costume award as an obsessed cat lady and the prize was two Cinemark movie passes!), the Peterson's, and Heather Fowers (Heather was a trouper and came even though Kade was out of town).

L-R: The Willmore's, the Snow's, and the Browning's

L-R: The Zohner's, the Allen's, and the Law's (Deidra was an evil mastermind and framed Jeff Mohlman for setting fire to his own property when she really did it).

L-R: The Clark's, the Wrigley's (Jonathan was the murderer! But unfortunately for him, most people ended up guessing it was him in the end), and the Mohlman's.


Everyone seemed to have a great time which makes me happy because we put so much work into it. I was so impressed with everyone's amazing costumes and their willingness to get into character! And thanks to Margo for making everything as beautiful as it was.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a fun idea. And way to go on all the planning and hosting. It sounds like a big job, but that it turned out great. You're giving me some fun ideas to do up here with friends. Love the pictures - the food looks amazing - but where's a picture of you and Phil?! Glad you had so much fun with it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete